Wednesday, May 17

Overheard in New York

I just got back from a trip visiting family & friends in New York; a good time overall, but the city itself seems to be slipping into somewhat of an economic (?) depression. Tons of stores were gone/closed/boarded up - particularly in my old work 'hood around NYU.
I guess I should be neither surprised nor dissappointed that Bang Bang couldn't make the rent.

In an effort to prolong the buzz from being back in NYC, I hit Overheard in New York today.
It's things like this that simultaneously make me laugh and love the city while hating it and needing to leave it:
White girl #1: Look at that Asian girl! She's such a whore!

White girl #2: Dude, there's this Asian girl in my psychology course, she's a whore, too.

An Asian girl: Excuse me? Um, what is your problem? What, do you think all Asians are whores?

A very long pause.

White girl #1: Yes.

--Madison Square Garden

No comments: